Phone: +44 203 637 4111     Fax: +44 203 137 3366     Email:

Coronavirus Immigration Guidance for the International Students in the UK

Coronavirus Immigration Guidance for the International Students in the UK.

Find out about concessions and guidance announced by the Home Office for Student Visas.

The Home Office has announced immigration guidance for the international students who are currently in the UK and also separate guidance is announced for those who are waiting to apply for student visa or travel to the UK. We have taken relevant points from the Home Office guidance and put the same before you for quick response.

Please note that the Coronavirus Covid 19 Pandemic is under constant review at the Home Office and we will update this page as soon as we become aware of it. However, it is advisable for you to refer to the official guidance page on page for which the link is provided at the end of this page.

If you have completed your studies and intend to leave the UK

If you intend to leave the UK but have not been able to do so because of travel disruption or because you are having Covid 19 symptoms, you may request additional time to stay. This is possible, if yourcurrent visa or leave expires between 1 September and 31 October 2020. The Home Office will approve temporary permission, also known as 'exceptional assurance', if you contactthe coronavirus immigration team (CIT) by filling in an online form.

Once you've completed the form, and confirmed your email id, the Home Office will contact you to inform if your request is granted or if you will need to submit additional details or documents to show why you can't leave the UK.

If you are granted 'exceptional assurance' it will act as a short-term protection against any adverse action or consequences after your leave / visa expires. If your current visa conditions allow you to work, study or rent accommodation you may continue to do so during the period of your exceptional assurance. Exceptional assurance does not grant you leave or is not an extension of your visa.

If you have already completed the form to request exceptional assurance, you do not need to contact the CIT again. CIT is considering all requests and will be in touch to inform you of the outcome. During this time, you will not be treated as an overstayer or suffer any detriment in any future immigration applications for this consideration period.

If you do require longer and/or are unable to leave the UK by the assurance date given, you must reapply nearer this date by resubmitting the online form with supporting information.

If you intend to continue staying in the UK

If you wish and decide to stay in the UK, you should apply for the necessary leave to remain i.e. visa extension in the UK.

The Home Office has announced that you will be allowed to submit an application form from within the UK where you would usually need to apply for a visa from your home country. This is a major concession to help international students.

You will of course need to meet the requirements of the route you're applying for and pay the UK visa application fee and immigration health surcharge.

If you submit an extension application, the terms of your leave will remain the same until your application is decided. If you are switching into work or study routes you may be able to commence work or study whilst your application is under consideration.

Concession about period between date of application and start date for the course.

This concession applies to students who already hold permission on the Student or Child Student routes (including Tier 4).

Students must normally apply to study a course that commences no more than 28 days after their current period of permission expires, but the Home Office has announced that they will exercise discretion on this requirement if the start date of the new course named on the CAS is no later than 31 December 2020.

You will need to show that your application is urgent and also explain why you are requesting the discretion. Please include a cover letter with your application to explain the reasons, for example if you need to start a new job or course of study. If you need any help with your application or preparing appropriate cover letter for your application, please contact us.

Click here to find the Home Office official guidance.

The Covid 19 Pandemic situation is constantly evolving and Home Office will review the situation from time to time and update its guidance.

If you have any specific questions or doubts, please contact us and we will be happy to help.

HSMP Services UK - Registered With OISC UK

Questions About UK Visas or Immigration? Contact us Today!

Whether you are an individual looking to apply for a UK Visa / Entry Clearance Application from outside the UK or Leave to Remain / Extension application from within the UK, HSMP Immigration Services UK Ltd. will be happy to help. If you are an Employer wishing to apply for Sponsor License, we can help.

Contact Us